Photo

Compass & Navigation Tools - AKA, How I Found My Friends II.

Compass Navigation Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • Steam ID:harrisonosirrah
  • LocationNH

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

While playing in the backer's alpha, a few of us players found the need to designate a North end of the map. We decided that the Administration building is at the north end of the map. In other words, that big rotating bar (what is that?) that goes around the city is like the sun. It rises in the East and sets in the West. 

The reason I bring this up is because Hover city is very complicated and difficult to get your bearings in. I've been playing the alpha for a few months and it is only recently that I've begun to have the map memorized. I think the fact that you can't refer to anything contributes to the problem. I'll be in the game chat or on teamspeak asking another player "where are you?". All they can say is " uh...by the orange thingy....sort of near that one race...you know.". Now I know that it is in the plan to have everything scannable but I don't think that the Hover Language Barrier is the only problem.

While I'm against a mini map because I don't think it would help, I am for a 3D map of the city in a pause menu. But I also see how that could be very difficult. Even if that was the plan it's best to wait till the city is finished before mapping it.

Something you wouldn't have to wait for is naming things, and I mean everything. Buildings, roads, races, districts, highways, tunnels, bars, stores, name it all, take a 'night off', get drunk and make up stories and lore for Hover City. 

And while we're at it, might as well official designate a North. An in game compass on the UI would be very helpful too, maybe you can toggle it on or off if you really hate it. But I know some missions have the player compass, so maybe something like that but smaller or toned down. It seems like the simplest most advantageous thing to add as far as navigation goes.

• Bionicme and SecaNaChuva like this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg
No animals were harmed in the making of this signature -Theihe

#2 Choox

Choox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Steam ID:farsirixad
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

NO!!! no map! no compass!!! 
Stop give killing ideas for game!! Players  must to play more time for to know map!! - that is skill. Players with map will feel "hover world" is small.

may be can show coordinates X Y Z when player use scan (Right click) !!!  

• Neerhos likes this

#3 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

How do you suggest finding anything or anyone without any navigation tools or compass? Very few players will continue playing long enough to memorize the city, especially without any maps or aids to help them learn. I understand hardcore player like you Choox, want everything to be as difficult as possible, but you must realize that designing a game for the hardcore players alienates casual players and newbies. I want Hover to be successful, not a niche game that only has a small group of core players who stick around.

• theofficialcirax and Mrzozelow like this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#4 Mephisto

Mephisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

I'm okay with having large maybe different colored landmarks? maybe unique billboards or holograms to use as navigation tools like the way we use the admin building or e-cop tower. That way we don't really NEED a map and we have the scanning tool. maybe make resistance landmarks visible on the scanner like greendy and watabax are that way newbies can explore and still have significant points of reference? the sun doesn't really move at the moment so it can also be used as point of reference. there are many ways to get around the whole map thing without cluttering up the UI anymore.

EDIT: and the whole thing about new players, don't you think they're going to want to explore the crap out of a new game they've never experienced before? like i mean that's how this game was built so that getting around the city was fun and enjoyable to make you want to explore more. The scanning tool already pinpoints missions so i don't see why we'd really need a compass or map unless you want to meet up with other people.

#5 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

i don't see why we'd really need a compass or map unless you want to meet up with other people.

That's exactly why you would want it. And right now, the races, missions, the districts and roads, none of it's named. How do you reference a mission or race when it doesn't have a name? Sure you can say "I'm at the Greendy race." but what happens when there are more than one of her races like Darkgamer?

Also I wasn't suggesting using the sun as a point of reference. I was suggesting using that giant metal bar that rotates around the whole city as a substitute for the sun. Because the way we (You, Xan, and I) use the Admin building as North, it works out so that that giant metal bar rotates from East to West like Earth's Sun.

And as far as being newbie friendly, I was only trying to say, that if players can learn the city faster or meet up with there friends easier, that will only keep more people playing longer. Would you really pick up a game and say "ew, this game has a map? it must be for kids, I'm out."? It doesn't affect more skilled or dedicated players negatively in anyway.

And to be clear I am also against a map on the in game HUD. It would never be clear or detailed enough to help in a multilayered city like Hover. All I was trying to say far as maps go, is that the only way to do it right would be a 3D map in the pause menu somewhere. And that the in game levels would need to be mostly finished before that type of thing should even be started.

If the scanning is enhanced to the point where a map is not necessary, I think that would be fantastic. And there is still plenty of time for all of this to be resolved. I only bring it up because it's what I think would help.

• Xankriegor, theofficialcirax, Chauncey and 1 other like this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#6 Neerhos

Neerhos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 386 posts
  • Steam ID:Nheeros

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

For now you can see where people are when you press the scan button :o since the map isn't that huge we can manage with just that, and the game is so far from finished I'm afraid this feature will be implemented very late in the development, when we'll have several gigantic maps >w<

Untitled-1_zps6epjfrss.gif

Still in mourning.

#7 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

When a player is too far away though, you can't see them by scanning. And what happens when the map is full of players? At that point color coding would really help, because 16-30 (however many) little white squares popping up when you scan is not going to help much. Like I said, there is still plenty of time to resolve this somewhat minor navigation issues, but I still feel the need to bring it up now, because it is an issue that is already affecting some players.

Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#8 Choox

Choox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Steam ID:farsirixad
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Just need showing coordinates X Y of map  when player scan. Then player write to PM (or skype)  of friend - "I'am here - 46 35, come on!"

#9 theofficialcirax

theofficialcirax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Just need showing coordinates X Y of map  when player scan. Then player write to PM (or skype)  of friend - "I'am here - 46 35, come on!"

Hmm.. I think that sounds very tedious though, and even if that feature was a good idea.. think of console players not just the pc ones.

Maybe an add friend system, which then has that said friend glow a color from what ever distance they are.

you could probably use steam for it. 

• harrisonosirrah likes this

#10 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

While it sounds like a 'neat' idea, there is probably a reason no game has ever done that. Plus then even the most skilled players would be forced to check where they are before telling a friend. Frankly it just doesn't sound fun to me to look up and remember temporary coordinates. I'd much rather have named districts and roads along with a compass.

• theofficialcirax likes this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#11 theofficialcirax

theofficialcirax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

How about the map being an option you can turn off and on.

#12 Mephisto

Mephisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

i get why it would be helpful and i think a 3d map would look cool. Now that i've put a little brain power to work here i believe what harrison said, a pause menu rough 3d map would work out fine. i was mainly against having a constant hud map. If we do end up using a pause map there'll need to be lots of work done to the UI so that it's smooth and easy to get to. Wouldn't want to interrupt game time too often or for too long

along the lines with what Tearexx said it's probably not going to be "top of the to-do list" worthy for quite some time. maybe we can spread our navigation methods to newbies who join on steam? make it part of the experience or something XD 

What about making large landmarks constantly visible via the scanner? possibly have an option to disable it? maybe integrate a compass into the scanner instead of being a separate hud item so that it only shows up when you scan? that way it's practically toggleable and easy to blend into the hud if it's small enough. what about having a compass/map integrated into your armband (think of the animation when you're communicating with someone after you win a race) you hold it up and boom there's a map or compass or both?

just kinda tossing ideas around

• harrisonosirrah likes this

#13 Neerhos

Neerhos

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 386 posts
  • Steam ID:Nheeros

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

After a few questions, it's confirmed that it's not top priority, but the team is thinking about an...Efficient way to find your way/friends in the map. The fact that it's not just a flat level but actually a very vertical kind of game makes it a bit difficult to find a good solution but don't worry, there will be some sort of navigation tool !

• harrisonosirrah and theofficialcirax like this

Untitled-1_zps6epjfrss.gif

Still in mourning.

#14 Solkian

Solkian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

The idea that i had and i talked about with people on game, is about "district name".

No GPS, no compass, just district names to know where we are and where our friends are.

To take an exemple from the environment developper, when he created the lowest zone he said on a video: "I like to call this place, the rift."
Why not add an icon on the HUD with district name which will divided in different zone like (for example): "The rift, Downtown, Financial district, Market District, Ecop Building,...".

I think he could be added easily and have few advantage like: no map, no compass and gps, add maybe a roleplay side of the game like:Thoses gamer faction like to chill "there"while this gamer faction like to hang out "at this place", could be inconspicuous on the HUD.

EDIT: I'm sorry if my english is not really fluent, but i try to make an effort.

• Neerhos and Bionicme like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Compass, Navigation, Suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users