#1 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • Steam ID:harrisonosirrah
  • LocationNH

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

This Idea might be a little hard to explain but bear with me. I've Included a (crude) drawing to help get my idea across. I find when I'm running and jumping around Hover city, I find myself jumping into a flat wall and sliding down. And because of Hover City's unique architecture that wall is usually an overhanging part of a building, meaning there is not always something to land on below. 

My idea is an Under-Ledge Swing. Let's call the bottom corner of those overhanging buildings the under-ledge. I want to be able to swing on those to help move around the city. My original thought was it would be cool if there was horizontal poles to swing on. Then I realized it makes much more sense for Hover if your gloves could (magnetically?) stick to the bottom corners of all the overhanging buildings.

Now lets look at my awful little drawing below. Otello (or a clone) is trying to jump to point 2. Unfortunately an all too common under-ledge (1) is in his way. Clonetello™  doesn't panic, he just outreaches his hands and attaches his hover-gloves to the under-ledge with reverse hover power (idk?) and is able to clear the gap and escape the Secuboxes that were after him. The idea is to turn downward (falling) momentum into forward momentum, or to extend and/or maintain forward momentum across long gaps.

Ledge_Swing_Idea.png

Now being a realist I know this would be a huge undertaking, but if you look at point 3 (the cube), imagine that cube is a building in Hover City. If a swinging on a horizontal point could be figured out you could take the models for all the overhanging buildings, and make the bottom edges (under-ledges highlighted in purple) swing-able objects then use the grind/slide (or jump) button to grab and initiate a swing. I was thinking for simplicity it could be an animation that throws you across the 'ceiling' of the overhanging building. but i would be interested in a more free form manual type of swinging.

So please, if you want to see this, please comment. If you think it is dumb, please tell me why. And if you have any ways to improve this idea please say so below. I would love to see Under-Ledge Swings (UL Swing) in Hover's future.

• Mrzozelow, Chauncey, Bionicme and 1 other like this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg
No animals were harmed in the making of this signature -Theihe

#2 PierroOo

PierroOo

Leader of the revolution

• Administrators
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

C'est loin d’être une mauvaise idée :happygreendy:

Si je me souviens bien Charles me l'a aussi réclamé d'ailleurs :P .

Comme tu le dit c'est pas le background qui gêne, il y a plein de justifications possibles avec le coté cartoon de Hover. Si je l'ai pas mit c'est surtout par manque de temps.

Il faut en priorité que je règle les bugs de collision des murs, actuellement, et a cause d'Unity (c'est po ma faute !) si un joueur touche deux murs en même temps il passe en low-gravité, et pire si il touche deux murs plus le plafond il reste collé...

Cependant ça me motive à le faire que des joueurs le réclament ^^ Je promet que je passerai du temps à ajouter ce genre de fonctionnalité !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's far from being a bad idea  :happygreendy:

In fact, I recall Charles requesting the same thing  :P .

As you mentioned the background is not the issue, there are plenty of justification possible considering the caroonistic aspect of Hover. Lack of time is the main reason it has not been implemented.

As a priority I must fix bugs resulting from wall collision and because of Unity (not my fault!) if a player touches two walls at the same time he switches to a lower gravity, even worse if two walls at the ceiling are hit the player remains stuck...

Nevertheless, I feel motivated to do it as some players are requesting it ^^. I promise to spend some time to implement this type of functionality!

Edited by Kod, 14 March 2015 - 05:03 PM.

• harrisonosirrah, Mrzozelow, Chauncey and 1 other like this

#3 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

It makes me happy to hear something like this has been discussed before. I could see how those Unity issues could make it more challenging though. Thank you for the response (and translation Vinci).

Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#4 Chauncey

Chauncey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:30 PM

I really like the idea of this. The game feels so fluid already and I can imagine something like this making it even better.

However, the notion of such automated maneuvers makes me wary; not to say that this is excessive, but perhaps it'd serve well to consider making a maneuver like this - or even the vault that you've mentioned before - require some kind of input. What if, for whatever wacky reason, you want to hit that wall? Or stumble over the guardrail? This game has such a nice skill celing and has so much room for finesse and movement creativity that I suppose I'm a little paranoid about ideas like this.

As stated initially though, a swinging move like this would definitely be cool! Hell, I can see myself brachiating all around the city at some point. : P

#5 harrisonosirrah

harrisonosirrah

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

I don't mean automatic as in it triggers automatically. I mean once the player initiates the move it runs a canned animation from there and throws the player forward. I only suggested that because it would be easier than implementing a momentum base swing mechanic. But my idea was that once the play 'let go' of the under-ledge they would regain normal air control.

• Chauncey likes this
Kingbreakeredit3_fr.jpg

#6 Chauncey

Chauncey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

Oh, okay! Makes sense.

• harrisonosirrah likes this

#7 theofficialcirax

theofficialcirax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

that move would be sick in montages.

#8 Nintendork64

Nintendork64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

We'll soon be pulling off MLG 720 no-scope ledge swings :P

• Mrzozelow likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suggestion, Freerun, Parkour, Under, Ledge, Swing, UL Swing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users